Dimensions How heavy is it?
When the kayak is inflated:
> length: 380 cm
> width: 64 cm
When stored in its bag:
> height: 94 cm
> width: 50 cm
> thickness: 27 cm
> full weight: 18 kg (16 kayak Dimensions of the bag + 2)
Hatch storage: 60 cm
An innovation, and a patent pending!
The initial idea? Design our dream kayak: a high-performance inflatable kayak that we can take with us everywhere thanks to its backpack, in short: freedom! To get to this stage, 30 months of studying and developing 7 prototypes - which we call in our jargon a "mock-up" - were required. The main challenge was: to provide rigidity and performance in an inflatable kayak. Which is why we patented the cut shape and the unique blend of materials we used.
Why a rigid inflatable kayak?
We listened to kayakers: "I am a decent kayaker and I want an inflatable kayak that performs the same as a rigid kayak", "I want to go kayaking using public transport", "Inflatable kayaks are nice but I want a kayak that paddles well!"
So we had to make a high-performing kayak that was easily transportable. Innovation was the only option
Marc Ronet, naval architect tells us about the adventure with DECATHLON:
"My work involved defining the overall geometry of the kayak, its general balance. When Itiwit called me, I was surprised but very interested. I love kayaking, so we had that in common. We were able to build on our respective knowledge. It was an amazing experience!"
Why the name "Kayak X500 DropStitch"?
Dropstitch is a mesh made of polyester yarns between 2 layers of PVC. When the floor is inflated under high pressure, the threads are stretched and the construction becomes very strong, thus avoiding any deformation.
This is what makes our inflatable kayak extremely rigid but easy to stow in a backpack once deflated.
How was the design worked on?
True teamwork between the engineer, the architect and the product manager. Emmanuelle designed the product according to the technical constraints. We can talk about functional design. The dark grey corresponds to paddling zone, the light grey to the cargo area and orange to visibility needs.
How to inflate and mount the kayak?
1. Inflate the main chamber (floor), then the intermediate chambers (walls), followed by the small chambers (arches). All the volumes are inflated to 10 PSI max (0.7 bar).
2. You can insert the foot-rests on the flexible guides, push them inside the kayak, and adjust to your leg length with the buckle.
3. Position the seat by fitting it onto the shims provided.
4. Position the backrests under the coaming.
We recommend the HP Itiwit twin-action hand pump (8387655), not supplied.
How to disassemble and deflate the kayak?
You'll see it's quite simple!
1. Make sure the folding surface is clean.
2. Remove the seat.
3. Remove the foot rests
4. Deflate the kayak by removing the cap and pressing the valve. (Leave the valve in the open position for air to escape)
5. Tuck in the hatch and start folding lengthways.
How to fold it up to put it in the bag?
1. We recommend placing the canvas of the bridge inside the fold.
2. Fold the keel over its entire length. This fold ensures that the width of the kayak is the same as that of the bag.
3. Fold each end towards the inside of the kayak and line up the ends with the Itiwit logo.
4. Slot the seat in the last fold of the kayak and finish expelling air from the kayak by pressing on it.
5. Finishing step: strap the kayak (strapping it up well makes it easier to put it in the bag).
What if the kayak is pierced?
It would take something sharp to make that happen. If so, the kayak is composed of 5 independent "air chambers". 1 or 2 of punctures? The kayak floats enough to make it back to the shore safely.
To preserve the life expectancy of your kayak, we advise you to avoid contact with oyster shells and sharp reefs.
The team offers their tips for your comfort ...
Olivier takes care of the stock at Itiwit. Like the whole team, he is passionate about kayaking. His advice: “Make the most of it, really take the time to sit in the middle to balance yourself, to adjust your foot rests. Once you are comfortable, off you go.
Nico is a product engineer, his thing is to always leave with dry clothes in a small waterproof bag. You can place it in the front of the kayak for easy access.
What does the Kayak bag contain?
The kit includes:
- the backpack
- the kayak
- the seat
- the foot rests
- a repair kit
It does not contain a spray deck. The kayak is compatible with the Itiwit spray deck code: 8543915.
Directions for use.
We recommend that you use the product with a buoyancy life vest.